Thursday, October 28, 2010

Quick & Easy - Spice up a box of rice!

So if you are in need of quick and easy meal, box starter sets are great!  You can add in fresh ingredients and make it your own!

One of my favorites that I always get a ton of compliments on is Jambalaya.  I used the Zatarains mix, and usually get the reduced sodium version.

 Ingredients:

Everything the box calls for, which I think is just water and oil
1 lb package of Hilshire farm smoked sausage, I have used turkey and chicken before which are fewer calories and still taste really good
1 celery stalk
1 green bell pepper
half of an onion


Cooking process

Slice the sausage, celery, and pepper into bite size little pieces.  Slice the onion into thin strips.  (All of this slicing you can do to your liking..big chunks of everything works well too,)

Put a non stick deep pan on the burner and let get warm on med high heat.  Once hot enough spray with pam and add in the sausage.  Let that brown for about 5 mins then add in the veggies. Season all with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper flake to your liking. Stir and cook for an addtl 5-7 mins, we want the veggies to be cooked but still firm.

Take the mixture out and place in a serving bowl to wait.

Now cook the Zatarains mix as instructed on the box. (cook in the same pot to keep the flavors and only dirty one pot lol)

Once the mixture has only about 10 more mins to cook, add back in your veggies and sausage.  I do this so my veggies are still crisp, if you like softer vegetables you can keep them in the mixture the whole cooking time.

Let sit 5 mins then serve, it's super easy! I sprinkled the top with a little cheese too :)


Then I just served mine with some bag salad which I chopped up some of the green peppers and celery to top it, and some zucchini and an easy bisquick biscuit packet


Enjoy! 
 I hope you find it to be just as easy and delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment