Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sunday Pot Roast

Sunday Pot Roast - Documented attempt #1

So normally I create or follow a recipe it's delicious, and then I never remember what I did and have to recreate the wheel each time I make it.  Well that ends today!!

I am going to start documenting my recipes so I can really start to perfect what I love :) and then when friends/family ask for a recipe I can actually give one :)

So today its Chuck Roast time

Here's the base recipe I found: Allrecipes.com Oven Pot Roast by beckysmith
Prep Time:
15 Min
Cook Time:
3 Hrs
Ready In:
3 Hrs 15 Min

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 3 1/2 pounds rump roast
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup dry vermouth

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and black pepper to taste. Dredge the rump roast in the flour and cover evenly. Shake off excess.
  3. In a large pot over medium/high heat, melt the butter and brown the roast on all sides. Place in a 4 quart casserole dish with lid.
  4. In a small bowl, combine the soup mix, mushroom soup, and vermouth or white wine; pour over roast.
  5. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 3 hours or until desired doneness.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 375 | Total Fat: 24.3g |

Here's my actual process...

  1. Take your chuck roast out of the fridge.. you don't want to put a really cold roast in the oven, just let it sit on the counter while your oven and prep work is coming to.  I am using  about a 3lb roast *wegmans usually has the club pack on sale and who doesn't want to have pot roast more than once :)
  2. Preheat your oven to 325 
  3. Start by dicing about a quarter of a large onion into small pieces, season the onions with salt/pepper and red pepper flake (if your into spicy)  just enough of each to "coat" 
  4. Now in a small bowl mix together the following: cream of mushroom soup can, vermouth, and well I just realized I don't have a onion soup packet so I'm  going to put in some Adobo with pepper instead and another 2 tbsp of a fresh onion minced.  (I have used the soup packet before though and that works out pretty good too)  This mixture should be kind of loose so if it isn't add in water as necessary I added in a couple tbsps
  5. alright they say something about all that jazz with flour but I am going to go ahead and skip that all together. 
  6. Time to get this baby into the roaster!!
  7. Put the roast in the roaster and season it lightly with some salt. You can go a little heavier with  pepper and red pepper flake to your liking
  8. Pour over the cream sauce we made, followed by sprinkling the diced onions on top. Actually after doing this I put in another half soup can full of water in the mix.
  9. Cover with tinfoil and roast for approx 4-4.5 hours  give a check about half  way to make sure there is still liquid in the bottom of the pan, if necessary add some more water.
  10. For the last half hour to 45 mins take the cover off of the pan, drizzle the top with extra virgin olive oil and 3 cloves of chopped garlic and continue to cook without the cover.
  11. Then be patient, the beef should set for at least 10 - 15 mins before serving :)
Time in 2:09  now its time to mix a drink, read the paper and attempt to please the husband by watching football-- later tonight or tmr will be reviews and ending notes...

No comments:

Post a Comment