Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sunday Pot Roast - Final Recipe and Comments

I would have to say the roast recipe was a hit!  There are a couple things I would have done a little differently so see the pictures and updated recipe below :)

Prep Time:  Approx 25 mins (mostly because I am slow and get distracted easily lol)
Cook Time:  4 hours and 10 mins
Total ready in time (includes prep, cook and resting):  4 hours and 50 mins

Ingredients:
3-4.5lb Chuck Roast
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (98% fat free)
1/2 cup dry vermouth ( I can take or leave this ingredient, I didn't notice any real difference in flavor.  Just make sure if you don't use it you supplement it with either some sort of broth or water.)
Seasons to taste; Salt, Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper Flake, Adobo with pepper (keep in mind if you use adobo it does have salt in it, so you may not want to add any additional salt)

Cooking Process:
 Take your chuck roast out of the fridge.. you don't want to put a really cold roast in the oven, just let it sit on the counter while your oven and prep work is coming to.  I am using  about a 3lb roast *wegmans usually has the club pack on sale and who doesn't want to have pot roast more than once :)
  1. Preheat your oven to 325 
  2. Start by dicing about a quarter of a large onion into small pieces, season the onions with pepper and red pepper flake (if your into spicy)  just enough of each to "coat" ( I took the salt out of this section, with the cream of mushroom and the adobo I think there is enough.  If you love the salt feel free to keep it on there, I am just a little sensitive to salt but D didn't think it was too salty)
  3. Now in a small bowl mix together the following: cream of mushroom soup can, approx 3/4 of a can full of water, vermouth, Adobo, 2tbsp minced onion, pepper, and red pepper flake.  This mixture should be kind of loose so if it isn't add in water as necessary.
  4. Time to get this baby into the roaster!!
  5. Put the roast in the roaster and season it lightly with some salt. You can go a little heavier with  pepper and red pepper flake to your liking
  6. Pour the cream sauce we made into the roasting pan around the roast., followed by sprinkling the diced onions on top. 
    *As a note:  While I was prepping this I poured the sauce mix over the roast too. I've decided that it is better when the sauce is just around it.  It gives you more to use for gravy and it leaves the roast top and onions a little crispier, which is very yummy :)
  7. Cover with tinfoil and roast for approx 4-4.5 hours  give a check about half  way to make sure there is still liquid in the bottom of the pan, if necessary add some more water.
  8. For the last 10 mins take the cover off of the pan, drizzle the top with extra virgin olive oil and 3 cloves of chopped garlic and continue to cook without the cover.
  9. Then be patient, the beef should set for at least 10 - 15 mins before serving :)




<>

I made ours with some garlic bread, homemade mashed potatoes, corn, asparagus, and stuffed peppers.  I pretty much overstuffed myself with it and I'm pretty excited to eat it again for leftovers!

I have another roast in the freezer so at some point I will cook it again and try using the lipton onion soup mix.  I'll just add a comment with the updates/taste differences.

Hope you enjoy too!!


No comments:

Post a Comment